Imagine you wake up one morning and there’s no hot water. You run the faucet for a minute or two and, nothing. You turn the shower on as your normally do in the morning and it never gets hot. What should you do? The most important thing in this case is - don't panic. There are a few easy steps that can be taken to figure out what the problem is even without much knowledge of HVAC systems or equipment, and in many cases there will be a simple solution:
- Check the power supply. If there is no power, the problem is electrical and needs to be routed to an electrician. If it runs on gas or oil, make sure there is gas or oil in the tank.
- Check the thermostat. If power is not the issue, locate the main thermostat and make sure that it is accurate. Thermostats can lose their accuracy over time and may need to be recalibrated or replaced. It could be that the thermostat needs to be set to a higher temperature, especially if it’s not set higher than room temperature.
- Check the pilot light. The pilot light should be on. If it isn't lit, then try relighting it using the manufacturer's instructions. If it doesn't stay lit and/or the main burners don't come on, it could be something that an HVAC specialist needs to look into. If you have a modern boilers, there may not be a pilot light. If this is the case, it would have an electronic ignition.
- Check the condensation pipe. The condensation pipe may have frozen, which can happen when temperatures drop outside. An error message may show on the boiler. There are do-it-yourself methods for unfreezing condensation pipes, but it’s your best bet to call a professional.
- Check for visible leaks. Check pipes and valves for leaks. If leaks are found and no one in the home is familiar with boiler repair, call a professional.
If all of these things have been checked and the boiler is still not working, it's time to contact a professional repair company. Hero Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling has been trusted for over 100 years with HVAC repair and can provide top quality service with a guarantee. Schedule your appointment over the phone or online.