According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the air inside your very
own home can be up to five times more polluted than the air outside. Hard
to believe, right? Well, what’s even more alarming is the number
of household items just about every homeowner has inside their home that
are actually making you sick. Let’s dive right in:
Candles: sure, they smell good, but in addition to filling your home with
a pleasant scent they’re also filling it with harmful gases and
toxic particles. Avoid purchasing and/or lighting candles made from paraffin
wax – a byproduct of petroleum that has been linked to an increased risk
of lung cancer.
Cleaning Supplies: most store-bought household cleaning supplies contain
VOCs, or volatile organic compounds. They can lead to chronic respiratory
problems, allergic reactions and headaches. It’s also important
to steer clear of cleaners containing ammonia and chlorine bleach.
Dryer Sheets: now that’s a surprise to most of you, right? Believe
it or not, the wax-like material on dryer sheets is often a mixture of
quaternary ammonium salt and silicon oil or stearic acid which is linked
Air Fresheners: you may want to think twice before spraying the bathroom
after taking care of business. The chemicals inside air fresheners have
been compared to the toxicity levels of secondhand smoke. Open up a window
or create your own natural air freshener instead!
Gas Stoves: if you have a gas range in your kitchen, we’re not telling
you to get rid of it. What we are telling you, though, is that you need
a proper ventilation system in the kitchen to get rid of nitrogen dioxide
that can irritate your lungs and lower resistance to respiratory infections.
Provide the best indoor air quality in your home in Twin Cities – St. Paul,
and speak with indoor air quality experts at
Uptown Air Conditioning. We’re already trusted in thousands of local homes and businesses
with over 100 years of experience, satisfaction guaranteed service and
individualized solutions to suit your indoor air quality needs.